Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Adjourning



I often feel the hardest good byes come with groups that have over come and evolved into high performing groups. I think the rocky starts often, not all of the time, build bonds that create an environment where everyone knows the alternative and chooses to work together as a cohesive group I was involved with a Mothers of Preschoolers group several years ago that was by far for me the hardest group to leave. In the beginning there was a learning curve for all as to how to communicate and set clear expectations with one another, but once that was established it was a fantastic group that complemented one another in many aspects. Together we accomplished so many goals, and became great friends in the process. Ultimately, several us of moved away, which caused the group to adjourn. As a ritual we went out together, had dinner,  and reflected on our times together. For me when a group adjourns and there is no sort of closing ritual it seems as there is no closure on the experience as well. It is left open ended and perhaps fragments the process and entire time spent together. 

In one of my undergraduate research courses our instructor put us in groups the first week and each week we had assignments with our group that were due. In an online format this was extremely challenging, but it was the first time I actually got to know my other school colleagues, and have made life long friends because of it. I have never really thought about how our cohort group in the Master's program would adjourn. I have spent a lot of time in the online format and it has been difficult to establish the same kind of bond that comes with face to face communication. We have all been extremely dedicated to our studies and straight to the point, so although we will have spent two years together it has all been so focused and concentrated. I believe I must try harder to establish relationships with my colleagues and perhaps wish everyone well when the time comes, but try to remain in contact as the collaboration with colleagues in any format is vital.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy,
    Thank you for your post. I agree that high performing groups are difficult to leave because so much has been accomplished. I, too, think that when a group has a lot of conflict in the beginning it does help to create bonds between group members. I agree that we have all have to work harder to create better relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mandy,

    It is often said that conflict becomes negative only when it is not approached and resolved. I do believe that as long as conflict is resolved effectively, it is not necessarily a bad thing. Conflict is a normal part of any healthy relationship. Indeed, as well as being able to handle conflict when it arises, teams need to develop ways of preventing conflict from becoming destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy-
    I hadn't given much thought to ajourning from this group either but can really relate to what you said. We have all been very dedicated to our studies and balancing work, school and family while doing it. While it is true that we may not have forged life long friendship, I have gained a great deal of insights and ideas from different classmates over the years. As I take those things with me it is like taking a piece of each of them. We may never meet in person, we may never exchange ideas after this stage is over but I have gained a greater understanding of the imporatance of collobration and that will continue to grow.

    ReplyDelete