Monday, November 18, 2013

National Organizations & CoP



National organizations or Communities of Practice (CoP) that appeal to me include the Children’s Defense Fund, Technical Assistance Partnership for Child and Family Mental Health, as well as Zero to Three. First of all I chose the Children’s Defense Fund to utilize as a great source of information to cite and gain information from. The Children’s Defense Fund offers numerous articles on specific relevant topics to my challenge statement, stays current on policy changes, and can be a source of advocacy or referral information (Children’s Defense Fund, 2012). The Cradle to Prison pipeline initiative the Children’s Defense Fund is currently working on directly relates to the early intervention strategies for young children that I hope to address such as how to address trauma in early childhood. The second organization I chose to explore is Technical Assistance Partnership for Child and Family Mental Health. This organization offers several CoPs that are specific to topics. For example, there is a specific Child Welfare CoP as well as Early Childhood CoP, both which address current mental health needs of children, which I felt to be very valid to my challenge statement. Each CoP has an individual assigned as the community lead.  Based on the website the Technical Assistance Partnership for Child and Family Mental Heatlh state both of these CoPs offer “Access up-to-date information, events, funding opportunities, and resources, or ask a question related to child welfare services and the needs of children and families in the child welfare system” (Technical Assistance Partnership for Child and Family Mental Health, n.d.). This would be a great resource to learn from other professionals around the country dedicated to a unified goal. Lastly, I looked at Zero to Three as this organization offers resources for early childhood educators, stays current on policy changes, and has relevant information pertaining to the mental health of young children and how this can translate into success in classrooms. Additionally, this resource offers information about state policy changes as well as national policy changes. This is imperative for all early childhood educators despite the challenge as funding, standardization, and other initiatives affect the strategies and models of intervention.

            Current job opportunities available that interest me include a Project Director for Early Education Services division for ICF International. This organization works as a contract agent for community and government projects in key areas of development such as education. The organization serves the United States as well as other countries worldwide. This project actually is located in Fairfax, Virginia and serves to address retention, education reform, and professional development. Qualifications include a Master’s degree and five years’ experience in early care or education, as well as military experience and quality control experience. While I meet most qualifications for this job I do not currently have military experience.



References:

Children’s Defense Fund, (2012). Programs & campaigns. Retrieved from


Technical Assistance Partnership for Child and Family Mental Health, (n.d.). Communities of practice.


Zero to Three National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families, (2012). Building early childhood





7 comments:

  1. This job sounds really promising and Fairfax is only an hour away from me. You def need the military training? I also like to the cradle to prison. I have always found this really interesting working with children before they get to that point of no return. This was a really great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mandy, My oldest brother was schizophrenic and heard voices that commanded him to kill his family. I grew up experiencing and witnessing traumatic events since I was born. Back at that time (in Guatemala), my parents did not find a community program that could help us to overcome this situation. Definitely, the organizations you explored this week play important roles for children and families that have suffered painful events because they may assess children and provide them with mental health services. Thank you for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for bringing these organizations to my attention. I am aware of the children's defense fund, however the others are new to me. I sill use these as a resource. Mental illness is a serious issue in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy,
    Your information provide great resources for others. Do plan to any of them for your challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy,
    Do any of these jobs allow you to work long distance or remotely? I am interested in becoming a validator for NAEYC however I do not want to relocate my family. You seem to have a great deal of knowledge about job opportunities in the Virginia , D.C. area. I would like to keep in touch as this maybe the next area of interest for myself.
    Thank you!
    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done research on the cradle to prison pipeline project and it sounds very promising! I would love to work on that project. We have a large population that almost seem like they are destined to be in prison before they even reach high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wrote for the administrator position that you do not YET have military experience.. is that something you plan on pursuing for a position similar to this or is this not quite the job you were looking for but you meet most of the requirements?

    ReplyDelete